Junior hydraulic engineer for research offshore wind
Junior hydraulic engineer for research offshore wind
Our Hydrodynamics and Offshore Technology department is looking for a hydraulic/offshore engineer to expand our motivated and dynamic team at junior level. Would you like to contribute to challenging and innovative projects related to offshore developments? Are you passionate to work in the renewable energy sector and want to contribute to the energy transition? Do you have a passion, or even experience, for applied research involving physical experiments and numerical modelling? Then this might be for you!
As a hydraulic engineer in the Hydrodynamics and Offshore Technology department you will pe part of a team of 30 enthusiastic professionals, with diverse background. You will be working on versatile projects mainly related to offshore renewable infrastructure (turbine & platform foundations, floating structures) or transfer of energy to shore ((export) cables, pipelines). Thereby, your focus will be specifically on the interaction between the harsh offshore environment and the offshore structures to assess hydrodynamic loads from e.g. (breaking) wave impacts or cyclic wave loading. For our projects we use a wide range of tools such as physical model tests, numerical models and in-house developed engineering software. An overview of topics we are working on can be found here.
What can you expect as a hydraulic/offshore engineer?
Your work will consist of a unique balance between desk studies, numerical modelling and data analysis in our offices, and hands-on practical work in our hydraulic facilities combined with research. Your main activities will be:
- Assist in our research to develop safe, cost-efficient and sustainable designs of marine and coastal infrastructure for our clients.
- Make use of our in-house developed numerical models and open-source codes (such as OpenFOAM®) and help to investigate detailed interaction processes between offshore structures and the (extreme) offshore hydrodynamic conditions.
- Assist in preparations and execution of physical model work to test offshore structures and infrastructure in Deltares’ hydraulic facilities, ranging from working together with model technicians to validating measured data and analyzing results.
- Analyse field measurements for e.g. numerical model validation.
- Contribute to innovative Joint Industry Projects (JIPs) focused on developing state-of-the-art applications of the latest technology and products in this field.
- Publish your work in relevant journals and give presentations for clients and at conferences.
What does Deltares expect from you as an advisor/researcher in wind farm hydrodynamics?
- You have, or nearly finished, a MSc in Hydraulic or Offshore Engineering, Marine Engineering (or similar), with excellent results.
- You have good theoretical knowledge of hydrodynamic flow and wave processes.
- You have numerical modelling experience on detailed hydrodynamics around structures. Experience in programming and the application of OpenFOAM® is beneficial.
- You have (basic) programming skills (e.g. Matlab, Python, C++) and are interested to develop your knowledge further.
- You have practical experience with or would like to learn everything about physical modelling.
- Knowledge and understanding on structural engineering are a plus.
- You are fluent in speaking and writing in English.
- You enjoy being part of a dynamic and diverse team.
- You are willing to develop yourself and reflect upon your performance.
- A (growing) network in the offshore industry (offshore wind) is beneficial.
Working at Deltares
We offer you a position to work on innovative projects related to offshore renewable structures, like foundations, offshore platforms, submarine cables and pipelines. With our unique physical testing facilities on our campus, like the Delta Flume and the Atlantic Basin, and our in-house numerical models you can be part of the development of knowledge and solutions for the challenges of today and tomorrow.
At Deltares, we offer an informal and dynamic working environment. It is of utmost importance to us to support you in your personal development and building on your resume. As knowledge is our key-asset, we offer excellent training opportunities and subjects with future perspective. As a new employee at Deltares, you will join our Young Professional Program to ensure a soft landing and to provide a comprehensive introduction to our work and missions.
Our terms of employment are competitive with a good pension scheme and 34 days of leave (full-time employment). We are committed to a diverse and inclusive working environment.*
Are you interested in this position and do you fit the job qualifications? Apply directly by uploading your CV and motivation letter, before 28th of February 2023. We will get in touch with you within three weeks after the closing date, preferably sooner. Only applications via our website will be considered.
If you have any questions about the vacancy you can contact Brian de Bruin (HR Recruitment Officer; firstname.lastname@example.org; +31615267686).
*Deltares commits to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment.