Operations research engineer
Operations research engineer
Do you have a background in applied mathematics and do you like to dig into mathematical optimization problems? Do you want to use your talent to ensue societal impact? That is possible! For our Department of Operational Water Management we are looking for an optimization expert who wants to contribute to reducing the impact of climate change by optimizing water control with smart software solutions. Sounds interesting? Read on!
What can you expect as operations research engineer at Deltares?
Deltares develops top knowledge in the field of flood early warning and provides decision support for the day-to-day management of the water system. Our open source software package RTC-Tools helps the water manager with day-to-day decision-making. RTC-Tools computes the optimal use of pumps and sluices to keep lowland areas dry, or the optimal release of reservoirs for flood control and hydropower generation.
Your role as an optimization expert, is to advance the application of optimization techniques in water management and to incorporate this knowledge into the software. What will a day look like for you?
- You translate questions from water managers into mathematical optimization problems.
- You develop optimization models for the control of hydraulic systems. For example, pump scheduling in a polder system.
- Give mathematical guidance to your engineer colleagues who apply RTC-Tools for polder systems, reservoirs and hydropower plants;
- Contribute to the development of our open source optimization software RTC-Tools within a team of software engineers and specialists, relevant topics are:
- Gradient optimization of continuous nonlinear functions;
- Mixed-integer optimization;
- Multi-objective optimization and goal programming.
- Experience with solvers such as ipopt, cplex, gurobi, cbc, clp;
- Engage in research on optimization-based control of hydraulic systems by
- Applying existing methods to new fields in the water domain ;
- Publications in journals and on conferences.
In this position you put the theory in practice. Together with other colleagues from Deltares we address the challenges that water managers face on their daily work. This applies to water managers across the Netherlands and abroad.
What does Deltares expect from an operations research engineer
- You have an MSc or PhD in applied mathematics (or similar scientific education);
- You are passionate to work in an applied scientific environment and you are motivated by technical challenges;
- You have experience with mathematical optimization;
- You have proven experience in object-oriented programming languages, preferably Python;
- Knowledge of the numerical methods in fluid dynamics is an advantage;
- Experience with model predictive control is an advantage;
- Experience with complex software architecture is an advantage;
- A wider interest in the application of analytics within the field of hydrologic forecasting is an advantage;
- You have a good command of the English language.
What we offer:
- A motivated team with a ‘can-do’ mentality where collaboration, reliability and innovation are key;
- Working on projects across the Netherlands and on international projects;
- Excellent training opportunities for personal and professional development;
- Deltares offers a market conform salary. Scaling will be based on your experience;
- ABP average salary pension, 34 days of vacation, a vitality budget and a mobility budget;
- Our Campus in Delft contains unique facilities such as the Delta Flume and our iD-lab, an interactive data research laboratory;
- A diverse and inclusive working environment.*
Are you interested in this vacancy and do you fit the job qualifications? Then apply directly via the apply button and upload your CV and motivation letter. Deadline March 1st 2023. Do you have any questions about the vacancy you can contact HR recruitment through email@example.com.
The first interviews will take place on 13 and 14 March.
*Deltares is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment.